Dr. David Schiering, a Czitek founder, chaired a symposium at the Eastern Analytical Symposium (EAS) entitled “Vibrational Spectroscopy in Defense and Security.” The invited session was organized by Dr. Schiering on behalf of the Coblentz Society, the vibrational spectroscopy technical society. The session was presented on Tuesday afternoon, November 15, and included talks on Raman spectroscopy, hyperspectral imaging, and FT-IR spectroscopy in the context of chemical or explosives defense.
In addition, Czitek conducted a short course entitled “Hands-on FT-IR Microspectroscopy.” Dr. Schiering was joined by Dr. John A. Reffner, Professor of Forensic Science at John Jay College, and taught the course on Wednesday, November 16. The topics that were covered included:
- Optical Microscopy Fundamentals
- FT-IR Microspectroscopy Instrumentation and Methods
- IR Spectroscopy – A Refresher
- FT-IR Microspectroscopy Applications
- Solid Sample Preparation Methods for FT-IR Microspectroscopy Analysis
- Practical: Hands-on Sample Preparation and FT-IR Microanalysis
Tony DiDomenico manning the Czitek Booth at EAS.
More information on EAS can be found on their website - http://www.eas.org